Olaplex. The name that invariably, for many years, evokes strong emotions in the world of hairdressing. Most people know the name and have an overall idea of what it’s all about (“it’s this expensive thing that makes your hair stronger, isn’t it?”), but have trouble understanding the process and oftentimes wonder if it’s worth the cost. But worry not, we are here to answer all your Olaplex questions and help you make the decision whether or not you want to invest in getting the treatment yourself!
Table of Contents
What Olaplex treatment is, actually?
Olaplex treatment is based on a patented molecule discovered by the company’s creators called Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate. It’s basically a very powerful bonder – it restores compromised hair by repairing its disulfide bonds. This is why Olaplex brings actual repair and not just visual improvement – unlike many nutritional treatments that just cover individual hair, Olaplex treatment helps to rebuild its structure and integrity. It truly is an innovation.
What’s up with the numbers?
If the name “Olaplex” rings a bell for you, you’ve probably also noticed that there are a few different products from the line that are assigned numbers from 1 to 9 (lately “0” has been also added to the line). Two first, Olaplex no.1 and no.2 are for professional use only – you are not able to pick them up for yourself, but can buy them as a service performed by a professional hairstylist.
- Olaplex no.1 Bond Multiplier (professional use only) – is the purest form of Bis-Aminopropyl Diglycol Dimaleate and can be mixed into colour and lightening formulas to lessen the damage immediately.
- Olaplex no.2 Bond Perfector (professional use only) – is a form of a deep conditioning treatment and is applied after rinsing colour and lightening formulas off hair.
- Olaplex No. 3 Hair Perfector – is basically a “home-use” version of the previous step. You are supposed to use it once a week before washing your hair, leaving it in for about 15 minutes.
- Olaplex No. 4 Bond Maintenance Shampoo – is an everyday use shampoo that helps to maintain the integrity of hair bonds.
- Olaplex No. 4P Blonde Enhancer Toning Shampoo – the Olaplex take on a purple shampoo, is a high-quality toner that helps with the integrity of hair bonds at the same time.
- Olaplex No. 5 Bond Maintenance Conditioner – a straightening, deeply nourishing conditioner intended for daily use.
- Olaplex No. 6 Bond Smoother – a leave-in styling cream that hydrates hair and helps with frizz.
- Olaplex No. 7 Bonding Oil – a lightweight hair oil that not only adds shine, gets rid of frizz and helps with styling but also works as a heat protector.
- Olaplex No. 8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask – a deep conditioning leave-in mask that hydrates and nourishes hair on its entire length.
- Olaplex No. 0 Bond Builder – the newest addition to the family, it is a primer that boosts the performance of all at-home Olaplex treatments, especially the no.3.
Is Olaplex really able to salvage damaged hair?
Short answer? Yes. Although the treatment is beneficial for all kinds of hair, it’s especially dedicated to people whose manes have been damaged by colouring, lightening and other aggressive chemical procedures. As explained before, Olaplex is able to reconnect disulphide sulphur bonds that are broken during not only chemical services, but also daily treatments such as heat styling, brushing and pulling hair, as well as sunlight exposure or cold weather conditions.
Of course, you need to keep in mind that although Olaplex is close to being a magical potion, it still needs some action on your part to work to its full potential. An in-salon Olaplex treatment will significantly improve your hair condition, but it’s best to pair it with regular at-home maintenance with Olaplex products. Results will be noticeable from the get-go, but it will take time to really strengthen your hair, especially if the starting point was really difficult.
Is Olaplex any good for already bleached hair?
Yes. Although it would be ideal to add Olaplex to the lightning process to minimise damage before it occurs, it is great for repairing the bleaching damage that had already been done as well. Lightening is pretty much the most straining process you can do for your hair as it disulfides bonds, pushing them to maximum fragility. Olaplex protects them from further damage and, over time, is able to repair them. If you went from black to blonde and noticed that the condition of your mane has worsened, Olaplex treatment will be the most beneficial for you.
Is Olaplex fitted for curly hair?
Absolutely! As the treatment restructures and improves moisture retention, curls that have lost their shape can come back to their bouncing beauty thanks to it. Furthermore, textured hair is more prone to damage when processed chemically (coloured or lightened), so you have even more reasons to ask for Olaplex when getting them done.
Can I use Olaplex products to treat my dry, thinning hair?
It is a very good idea – but you need to set your expectations straight. If your hair is thinning due to breakage that occurs because of the bond damage, then Olaplex will help you immensely. However, if you lose hair due to an “inside” factor, such as hormonal imbalance, scalp infection or an illness, Olaplex will not cure the real cause of the problem. It can surely support your journey by making your hair stronger and in better shape, but will not fix the issue.
Hair that appears dry usually has a few different types of damage, so getting the treatment done is a great idea. To further help your hair consider getting yourself the Olaplex No. 8 Bond Intense Moisture Mask. Its highly concentrated formula penetrates deep inside the hair, hydrating it and repairing damage without weighing it down.
How can I find salons that do Olaplex treatment near me?
It’s very easy! You can find salons that use Olaplex on the Booksy app and web platform. Booksy allows you to search for salons in your area that fit specific criteria – in this case, hairdressing salons that perform Olaplex treatments. Turn on your location services for even more accuracy and book your hair-changing Olaplex treatments from the safety of your own home!