When your skincare routine is very minimalistic, it’s easy to figure out the proper order of applying products. However, once you start experimenting with new solutions and expanding your little beauty ritual, things get tricky. Should you apply serum or essence first? What about moisturiser and sunscreen, which one should be on top? And when is the best time to apply eye cream? Stay with us to learn everything you need to know about layering skincare!
Table of Contents
Why does the order in which you layer skincare matter?
Why would you even care about the supposed right order of applying products, you may ask. Well, first of all, products of thinner consistency simply absorb quicker, so it’s logical to start with them. But more importantly, the thicker formulas tend to create a barrier on the skin which may prevent the thinner ones from penetrating it to their full capacity – and you always want active ingredients to reach as deep as possible. This is why the general rule of thumb is to always begin with the light, watery products first and leave rich, whipped, heavier ones for last.
What is the most effective way to layer skincare products?
First of all, obviously, you need to cleanse and exfoliate your skin. Do not apply any products on top of unwashed skin! It entirely defeats the purpose.
- Toner should be the next step after cleansing and exfoliating. It balances the skin’s pH level and preps it for all the other steps.
- Essence goes next. It has a lower molecular weight than a moisturizer and therefore penetrates the skin deeper.
- Serum (booster/ampoule) is the best next step. Serums are lightweight and very concentrated, they absorb quickly and target problematic areas with maximum power.
- An eye cream can be applied at this stage, as you will not touch your eye area with any other product afterwards.
- Spot treatment (if necessary) should be applied afterwards. Mind that any prescription treatments prescribed by a doctor should always be applied as recommended – ask your dermatologist how to add them to your usual regimen!
- The moisturizer comes last in the nighttime routine or last but one in the daytime one. Moisturizers can be very rich and thick in texture and therefore it’s vital to put them on top of anything else!
- Sunscreen is the last part of the daytime ritual. Choose the one that will protect you from harmful rays but also won’t irritate your skin! Make sure to check our guide to choosing a perfect sunscreen.
And what about the makeup?
Makeup is not supposed to penetrate your skin but sit on top of it and be easily removed at the end of the day. If you are planning to wear it, obviously it should be applied after the entire skincare regime. It’s best to wait at least 10 minutes to let your sunscreen absorb fully and then go on with any face products of your choice. This way you ensure that everything will work as intended and look beautiful throughout the day!