3 health & beauty treatments that are perfect (and safe) for the summertime
Let’s clarify right off the bat – we do not mean any of these “get ready to show off your beach body” pre-summer treatments. We believe that every body is a beach body – you absolutely do not need to be a certain shape or as hairless as a Sphinx cat to enjoy a sunny day by the seaside! What we really mean is services that you can enjoy during the hot months without worrying (that much, because you should cherish the sun rays responsibly no matter the circumstances!) about sun exposure. If you are planning some spa holidays or simply want to spoil yourself with a few relaxing treatments this summer, this guide is for you!
Table of Contents
1. Massages, massages and even more massages
Massages are perfect for all times of the year – they are perfect for colder months when you want to get all warmed up and cosy, but also for summertime, when you want some serious stress relief and relaxation.
Many of us start to exercise more when the weather gets nicer, which unfortunately sometimes ends up with strains and injuries, not to mention terrible cases of muscle overwork. For some people increased heat and humidity comes with swelling of joints and limbs – and there is no better way to fight with these uncomfortable experiences than going for a good massage session.
There are many different types of massages, some of which address certain health issues, while others are more holistic. No matter if you are a first-timer or already have some experience, you will for sure find something for yourself.
- Swedish massage is a gentle, full-body massage perfect for beginners and relaxation seekers. Usually, it takes 60-90 minutes.
- The aromatherapy massage is usually similar to Swedish, rather delicate and focused on delivering pleasant experiences. It adds the sensory value of being massaged with oil, as well as the beautiful, therapeutic smell. It also usually takes around 60-90 minutes.
- The hot stone massage is said to be a boosted version of traditional Swedish. It adds the value of warm-up stones that are used by the therapist to even better ease muscle tension and improve blood flow. It tends to be more expensive and takes around 90 minutes.
- Deep tissue massage is, as the name suggests, much deeper and is dedicated to people who have a lot of muscle tension and/or experience chronic pain. It can get pretty intense to the point of slight discomfort but is very effective. Its standard duration is 60-90 minutes.
- Trigger point massage focuses on the “problematic” parts of your body, such as areas of tightness in the muscle tissues, and is best suited for people with specific injuries or conditions, as well as those who experience chronic pain. This technique should take approximately 60-90 minutes to perform.
- Shiatsu massage is a Japanese style of massage in which the therapist applies pressure to certain points on the body to stimulate them. It’s not a painful technique, but it’s good to keep in mind that the point stimulation may not be fully comfortable for everybody. Shiatsu takes up to 90 minutes.
- Thai massage is all about applying gentle pressure and stretching techniques, similar to those used in yoga, to the entire body. It’s great for boosting blood circulation and flexibility. Its duration is usually around 60-90 minutes.
- Reflexology is a fantastic option for those of us who want to unwind but are not fully comfortable with being touched all over the body. The therapist will focus on applying gentle pressure to your feet, hands, and ears. One session should take around 30-60 minutes.
Are you by any chance from Sutton or will be somewhere in the area? If so, you simply need to visit Dave Taylor’s massage clinic. Their offer includes pregnancy massages, medical acupuncture and reflexology, but is most renowned for their Raynor massage. This technique was developed by Naturopath Brandon Raynor and takes influence from Chinese Medicine, Ayurvedic Massage, Shiatsu Massage and reflexology, as well as breathing techniques usually found in yoga. You can book your appointment right now via Booksy’s app or on our website!
Oh great, you may say, you began with a nice little preface about relaxation and now you are coming up with needles? Believe it or not, this one sounds much worse than it feels and is a perfect glow-up for the summertime, as it comes with little to no downtime.
Microneedling will help you with:
- Fading scars and sunspots
- Reducing wrinkles, fine lines and stretch marks
- Improving firmness of the skin
- Making your skin look smoother, softer and more glowy
- Skincare absorption – every cream just soaks right in!
Rejuvenation Medi Spa in Rotherham is the perfect place to get your first microneedling done. They perform it with the Electronic Dermapen, which is much more comfortable than the usual derma roller. The whole process takes around an hour and is much, much more pleasant than you may expect! Apart from this particular treatment, you can also choose from a wide variety of other services – we especially recommend the in-depth skin consultation that will allow the specialists from Rejuvenation Medi Spa to assess your problems and deliver the most personalised experience. You can book your appointment right now via Booksy’s app or on our website!
3. An advanced pedicure
We have something for the back, we have something for the face, now let’s give some love to the part of our bodies that usually gets kinda neglected for the entirety of winter and early spring – our feet.
In summer we finally have an occasion to show them off in sandals and when walking barefoot on the beach, it’s a moment in which many of us take off our socks and go uh oh. Let’s be honest – it’s much easier to take care of the nails on your hands than feet (tickles, anyone?) and cuticle nippers become a weapon in hands of many of us. Finally, warm weather causes swelling and tiredness, so reliving it by soaking your feet in an aromatic bath and receiving a massage is a godlike experience.
An advanced pedicure experience will:
- Improve the state of your nails
- Get rid of dead skin, especially on heels
- Promote circulation and help to fight off swelling
- Make your feet look beautiful, moisturised and healthy
- Boost your confidence when wearing open shoes
- Help you relax like never before
Looking for a pedicure fit for a royal? We have something just for you. Renéesance Pedicure Massage & Beauty in Sheffield offers a few different types of pedicure, one of which is called Luxury Spa Pedicure. It consists of a relaxing foot soak, followed by tidying the cuticles, shaping nails and exfoliating feet with a scrub. Then the technician will remove hard skin with a foot rasp (no metal here!), and apply a deeply moisturising foot mask. While it absorbs, you will be treated to a hand massage. If it weren’t enough, once the mask penetrates your skin, you will receive a foot massage and if you will be interested in some colour for your nails, you will receive a polish service as well. You can book your appointment right now via Booksy’s app or on our website!